Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Ahhhh....

Peace and quiet. I have been craving that for a long time! The kids are both napping, John is at work for a little while and I have the windows open for some much needed fresh air. It is a beautiful day!!!

Hmmm, where do I start? It first started in Grand Forks. Base housing made it mandatory to recycle. They gave you a nice big bin and you had to separate everything. Ugh. They then made it so you didn't have to separate. After moving to San Antonio, I had to seek out recycling. I got a small, I mean really small, green plastic box I could use. Well, shoot, I could fit two milk jugs in that thing when we were going through at least 4 a week. This wasn't going to work, but for the time being it was going to have to work and I was going to have to shove as much in that box as I could. We eventually got the nice big container on wheels. Yay!

Living on base again, I assumed(you should never assume!) that we would get the nice big container on wheels. Well, we did. One problem -- they don't pick them up! I am not sure where my need to recycle comes from. I think I really just want to help keep our home, the Earth, clean. I try to do many things to "Go Green." I bought Maddie cloth diapers, I recycle as much as I can when I can, we use the new spiral flourescent light bulbs. And our next vehicle, when the van dies, will be a hybrid.

So back to the recycling dilemma. Apparently the base ran out of money to have a recycling program. This frustrates me. That means the entire base is throwing away tons of office paper and supplies when they could easily be recycled. I know the government has a policy that states Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. It's just so frustrating to me that the base can't even follow it's own policies. Hopefully this will get resolved soon. As for now, I am going to collect what I can from the house and use the drop-off points at the local grocery stores. At least I am doing my part to be green.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! As you know I recylce what I can and I even got my neighbor to start recycling... I think I guilted her into it but I don't care! I need to start looking for the less energy light bulbs. I hear the bonus is that they last a lot longer than the "regular" ones do.

Anonymous said...

Green is good :)

As I was washing out a catfood can this morning, I realized...Germany must have the cleanest trash on the planet. OH! I got to chew out the boy and manboy about putting a broken plate in the wrong trash...it's NOT glass dammit, it's ceramic! Put it in the right friggen trash can!!!