Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Green Bananas


Since living in San Antonio, I purchased many a bunch of bananas. On three separate occasions, they have never ripened! The first bunch was from Sam's and they promptly replaced them for me with a new bunch that were fine. The second was from the commissary, I believe, and I never bothered to return them. And this last bunch again from the commissary, I have had for over a week now and they are still green as can be and hard as a rock. Has this ever happened to anyone before, or is it just me? We have bought bananas in North Dakota without a hitch as well as Michigan. This is very strange to me...
PS. I just emailed Del Monte to see if they have anything to say! Thanks Gretchen for giving me the idea to utilize their customer service.

6 comments:

BoxcatAV said...

Hum...Never happened to me before. I'm odd -- I'll only eat a bananna when you're ready to toss it. I love it when they are brown and soft (on the outside).

Tanya said...

Nope, mine are always way ripe too soon.

Cyndy said...

Weird! Can't say ever had that problem before.

Bev said...

This has happened to my friend Sandy a couple times. I think she said she found out they spray something on the bananas to mature them along and some bunches don't get sprayed correctly? Something...but don't worry, you don't have some wierd banana voodoo :) It's not in your head. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know? I think you DO have some weird banana voodoo. LOL That's crazy, they usually ripen and rot before we can eat them all. That's a bummer too. You'll have to try some of those recipes using green bananas like frying them or something. Want me to send you some Michigan bananas? They'd probably be mush by the time they got there though. :(

Anonymous said...

PS, I just have to post this too.

"I'm Chequita banana and I'm here to say, bananas have to ripen in a certain way. You can put them in a salad, you can put them in a pie, any way you want to eat 'em, it's impossible to beat 'em. Bananas like the climate of the very very tropical equator. So you must never put bananas in the refrigerator. LOL Can you believe I know that jingle? Anyway, don't refrigerate your bananas. :)